Vacation travel time is upon us. Be proactive and have your vehicle checked out before you take that vacation drive! Whether you are going across the country, across the state or across the city for the dreaded visit with your in laws, remember, it is always more economical and convenient to perform preventative maintenance on your car on your own terms rather than pay for costly repairs when something inevitably goes wrong.
No one wants to be stuck on the side of the road. Here are a few things to have checked before going on a trip, courtesy of Cinco Car CARE:
- Be sure your tires are ready for a trip! Shallow tread depth, under or over inflated tires and old tires (4 – 6 years) can result in a trip stopping accident or flat.
- Have your front end checked out; steering components, ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc. If you can not steer the vehicle…well, you get the idea.
- Have your oil changed before wearing down the viscosity on a long trip and be sure to check for leaks.
- Your air conditioning system should be checked for refrigerant level, compressor clutch and belts. Do not be fooled, if you’re A/C system does not work the non functioning parts may still affect the performance of your car. Believe it or not, you still need you’re A/C in cold weather for your defroster to work properly.
- Make sure your transmission has been serviced according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. The fluid should be clean and there should not be any leaks. A worn out or damaged transmission can be expensive to repair. Be mindful of its maintenance before taking the car on a trip.
If you have your car in for periodic maintenance and your oil changed at Cinco Car Care regularly then you are on the right track! Just bring your vehicle in for an oil change which comes with a free inspection (which covers many of the recommendations).
You can always take advantage of our coupon and save $5 on and oil change and trip check to make sure you are ready for the season. If you aren’t already part of our mailing list then go to the bottom of this page and fill out the form under Latest Deals.
It is important to remember, the safety of the vehicle is the responsibility of the owner and driver. The peace of mind that you are driving a safe car and do not have to worry about an expensive repair along the way makes the drive all the more enjoyable. Have a save trip and send us a postcard.